Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SUCCESS!!

For Christmas, my wonderful mother gave me the best gift ever. A Sun Oven! I was so excited to bake using only the power of the sun! So everyday I would try to bake something. Failure after failure after failure. Tyler had some success making a batch of cookies, and I had some success making a roast. But that was it. So if you do the math, I have had over 30 failures since Christmas. So I decided that it was time to give up. Goodbye solar bakery I wanted to open. Goodbye saving energy. Goodbye hopes and dreams... At least that's what I thought!

Tyler wouldn't give up on me. So this morning he said I should make some bread in the Sun Oven. He said today was the perfect day. Not a cloud in the sky. I said NO! But somehow he got me to do it. I was throwing everything together when I realized we didn't have enough flour. We decided to get creative and grind up some almonds to substitute the missing flour. (yum)

When the bread was ready to be baked, I didn't want to waste 2 whole loaves of almond bread. So I baked one outside(sun) and one inside(convention). The results were fabulous!
Can you tell which is which??Okay, the one on the right is the Sun Oven baked loaf. It is a lot moister as you can probably see.

Here she is! And yes, that is our ocean view!

This was my last try at bread in the solar oven. We like to refer to it as albino bread. It is the same bread as the golden brown loaf(baked inside). I don't know what happened. And no, we couldn't force ourselves to eat it. Weird, I know.

So now the quest to opening a solar bakery begins!
(Thanks Tyler for believing in me!)

3 comments:

Becky said...

Yeah Carrie! Yeah Tyler! The bread is beautiful and looks so tasty. I wish I could have a big fat slice with butter and jam. I guess it just goes to show what your mother always told you, or someone's mother always told them "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again" or the other wise quote. "You only fail is you stop trying". Go Millwards.

Ben and Jess said...

your bread is beautiful! (well not the albino bread...thats a little scary!) way to go!

Maddy said...

Albino bread doesn't look tasty,but it's about as tan as me! b.t.w I am blogging again.